New for the 2015-16 Formula E season is qualifying’s exciting ‘Super Pole Shoot-Out’ format!
Here’s how it works…
- As in the inaugural season of Formula E, the 20 drivers will first be split into 4 groups of 5 cars [via a random lottery system] in which they will take to the track..
- Unlike Season 1 however, each group will now only have 6 minutes of track time. This means the drivers now only have time for a single 170kw warm up lap followed by what will be their only chance at a 200kw flying lap. Only the drivers who can perform under pressure and maximise the potential of their cars will come out on top here.
- Positions 6-20 on the grid will be decided by times set during the group stages.
- The 5 fastest drivers from the group stages will progress through to the Super Pole Shoot-Out!
- This session will last 15 minutes and see the fifth fastest car from the group stages take to the track first. When that car crosses the line to start their flying lap the light will light will turn green in the pitlane and the fourth fastest car will take to the track… and so on.
This new qualifying format will ensure qualifying goes down to the wire each week and that driver and car are pushed to the limit! Just like Formula E is doing with Electric Car technology.